Baby massage has been a long standing parenting tradition in many cultures, such as in India and Africa, and has been introduced to the western world during the last 30 years, gaining in popularity in the UK since the late 1990’s.
Baby massage is when a parent lovingly strokes or holds their baby. Using high quality organic baby massage oil, soothing holds and rhythmic strokes are given on each area of baby’s body, following a sequence which has been developed over many years. The massage offers a wonderful experience and a special time to communicate both verbally and non-verbally with babies, so that they feel loved, valued and respected.
The IAIM baby massage course draws from both the Indian and Swedish massage traditions, as well as incorporating principles from yoga and reflexology.
Being a new mum can sometimes seem an endless cycle of feeding and changing nappies. Massaging your baby gives you a time when you can relax and be together and it can have lots of wonderful benefits too.
Benefits for your baby
- Helping your baby to feel more loved, valued and respected
- Helping your baby to feel securely attached – important for their long term emotional health
- Increased levels of relaxation and longer sleep
- Reduced crying and emotional distress
- Stimulation of baby’s circulation, digestion, nervous and lymphatic systems
- Development of body awareness and coordination
- Helping with language development, memory and concentration
- Increased recognition of facial & emotional expressions which supports development of social skills
- Relief from wind, colic, constipation and teething discomfort
Benefits for you
- Feeling closer to your baby
- Gaining a deeper understanding of your baby’s behavior, crying and body language
- Feeling the relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage
- Providing an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby
- Reducing post-natal depression
- Increased confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby
- Learning a life-long parenting skill
- Studies from around the world have shown that massage can reduce abuse, aggression and violence. It has also shown that infant massage reduces post-natal depression and can improve mother/baby relationships.
You don’t need any experience with massage and we will provide everything you need to begin a new and fun way to bond with your baby including organic baby massage oil and notes at the end of the course. The baby massage courses are by appointment only as there are only 8 places in each baby massage class to make sure that you get lots of one-to-one attention and each course lasts for five weekly sessions. Each session is approximately one hour and is suitable for all babies from new born to six months.
For a lot of new parents this is the first class they attend so don’t worry if you are running a little late or you are tired or baby is having a bad day everyone is in the same boat and it’s great to have a chat with other new parents going through exactly the same experience. What makes Baby ‘n’ You special is that there is plenty of time after class for complimentary tea/coffee and biscuits and a good chance to make new friends that could last a lifetime!!
If there is anything you would like to know or have any questions, please feel free to contact Baby ‘n’ You anytime. Hope to meet you and you baby soon!