Baby yoga, which complements baby massage, offers quality physical stimulation including flowing postures, holding, movement, touch, voice and deep relaxation. It induces a happy, care-free and lively parent-infant interaction which develops as the babies grow. This method of baby yoga is adapted from Hatha yoga postures and offers physical stimulation, helping your baby to achieve their developmental goals of rolling, sitting and crawling through a series of wonderful exercises passed to us from the Amazonian tribes of Peru. It is a unique course suitable for babies from 6 weeks.
During the five week course you will learn sequences with your baby, which will stimulate the body’s systems and encourage coordination and flexibility. This is “pure baby yoga” which originated from Francoise Freedman’s work. The yoga allows your baby the freedom to stretch, relax and have fun in a safe setting.
This class allows both mums/dads and babies to exercise together. I therefore suggest you wear comfortable, practical clothes in which you will be able to stretch and move freely. The classes will contain a mix of dynamic exercises, special holds and relaxation techniques, as well as a few surprises!
Benefits for your baby:
- Strengthens and aids development
- Aids digestion
- One short session will give baby as much physical activity as they would receive if they were handled and carried all day. This activity will help the baby sleep more deeply
- Baby’s behaviour will be more ‘settled’
- Yoga helps to heal any birth trauma; the baby will also be better equipped to deal with shocks
- Baby’s enjoyment of the positive stress of yoga will increase the babies ability to cope with future challenges
- Enhanced interaction
- A balance of activity and relaxation
- Pleasure and fun
- The high quality attention the baby receives from their parent/carer means the baby learns to interact with others and play actively
Benefits for mums, dads and carers:
- Helps to regain strength and maintain posture
- Tones the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor
- Nurturing oneself whilst enjoying activities with your baby
- Confidence in handling your baby
- Enhanced positivity and interaction
- Increased bonding between you and your baby
- Deep relaxation
- Pleasure and fun
In the increasingly fast pace of the modern world, our babies need all the help we can give them in order to create a foundation of well-being that will serve them all of their life. Yoga offers babies a resource that will enable them to deal positively with stress and know how to relax. Our handling of babies is a loving one, in which the conversion of a challenging movement into a safe game, to play and enjoy, is repeated again and again. This playful stimulation through yoga-based exercise is the best possible way of helping babies relish life, with all its demands, as they grow.
You don’t need any previous yoga experience at all. The emphasis of the class is on the babies and they are naturally very good at yoga. No yoga mats required they are provided at class and there is a maximum of 10 places per class so book early to avoid disappointment. The classes are relaxed, fun and great for meeting new friends for mums and babies alike! After all your hard work in the class there is always time for complimentary tea/coffee and biscuits at the end and a good chance for a laugh and a good gossip!
If you have any questions or want more information on baby yoga please get in touch and I hope to meet you and your baby very soon.